This Site is Sponsored By : Christopher's
(specializing in Books on the Middle Ages)
And is Hosted by the remarkable Ariadne's Thread.]
Historian of Medieval Carpentry
[C.A. Hewett, English Cathedral Carpentry (London, 1974), pp. 82-9]
The most spectacular work among the various polygonally planned
cathedral structures is undoubtedly the lantern at Ely, which was built
between 1328 and 1342, at a total cost of £24,061.34½ --as
the Sacrist's Rolls testify. No less than three master-carpenters are
recorded as being involved in the work, each of them in supervisory
capacities: Master Thomas, Master William de Houk and Master William
Hurley the King's Master Carpenter. Other carpenters are recorded as
boarded at the Prior's expense, together with numerous sawyers at various
times during the long period of construction. The rolls also indicate
clearly that the carpenters took over the huge scaffolding that had
been used by the masons for the purpose of bringing the octagon up to
its upper string-course in 1328, after which date the structural carpentry
began. From this masonry octagon it is apparent that a specific design
for the timber vault and lantern had existed and been understood by
the master mason, since the necessary sill-hooks and squinting-pockets
had been worked into the ashlar at the correct situations for the receipt
of the timber components. The carpenters therefore inherited a well-equipped
site-operation, with "huge scaffolding" and a "great
crane for lifting heavy weights", together with a stone carcase
accurately built in accord with the same design --evidently the product
of a "Medieval architect", conversant with both masonry and
carpentry. It seems unlikely that this genius should have been Alan
of Walsingham, the Sacrist of Ely, but this is stated; and his portrait
carved in stone was placed over the north-west arch of the octagon.
Finally the lantern, which incorporated a belfry with peal of bells,
was covered with lead as the Sacrist's roll for the twenty-sixth year
of the reign of Edward III records.
In July 1757 James Essex the architect made a survey of the
Cathedral in which he reported to the Dean and Chapter that the lantern,
"being a work of the greatest importance, the neglect of it may
be attended with the destruction of the church, and the loss of many
lives: For whoever considers the magnitude and weight of this Tower
with all its appendages, [p. 85] and the manner in which it is supported,
must allow that the greatest care is required to preserve it in the
state it ought to be". It is difficult to reconcile documentary
evidence with actual structures, and in this case even more difficult
to determine what repairs Essex really carried out, since in the same
report he said : "The prodigious quantity of Timber and Lead of
which it is composed was at First supported by sixteen pieces of Timber
only of which number 7 or 8 are now rotten and unfit for supports, so
that the whole weight is now unequally supported by those that remain
sound." He concludes his report in so far as the lantern is concerned
with the remark that "altho' this ought to be the first part that
has a general repair, the other part ought not to be entirely neglected
for care should be taken in time to prevent any mischief by securing
them for the present and at a more convenient opportunity to repair
them effectually". My own notes give no indication that Essex,
or any other architect, did replace any of the sixteen shores which
carry the lantern, since all of them appear to have a uniform age and
patination. What he probably did was add the very large quantity of
relatively small-timber trussing that now fills the space around the
lantern's first and internal storey. All of this subsequent timberwork
is omitted from the illustrations as irrelevant. It is, in fact, difficult
at the present time to determine the original design of the structure,
since this has nor been retained; the architects who have been successively
responsible for it have added structures to it, and accurately worked
sockets in the masonry are the only clear evidence as to the absence
of a large number of very big timbers.
The method originally used to construct the lantern must be
conjectured and necessitates an interpretation of the documentary evidence,
which in itself does not agree with the structural evidence since the
Sacrist's Rolls indicate that the fifteenth year of the work was devoted
to the construction of the wooden vault beneath the lantern and the
structure itself shows that the vault was complete, with all its 104
timber ribs and the "cobweb" of flooring that surrounds the
central octagonal void, before the "exaltatione magnarum postium
in novo chore" which seems to indicate the raising into position
of the huge corner posts.
The scaffold was inherited from the masons and sill-hooks of stone were previously in position in the masonry, and it was possible to set four sides of the eight-sided [p.89] "ring-beam" in position, each having a triangular side elevation. The radiating beams run from the centre of each side of the "ring-beam" and are tenoned into the angle-posts set into the stone grooves, and those in turn were strained apart by the octagon of rim-timbers surrounding the floor, which was additionally secured by the stone sill-hooks. The other four sides of the structure could then be added, and the cross-halved joints at the ring-beam's corners indicate the precise sequence followed; eight pendentives of timber were thus positioned, and when all were assembled the whole was immensely strong.
The lantern was built on this perforated platform, the tenons at the feet of the great corner-posts penetrating both timbers forming the ring-beam angles. The raking-shores were apparently set in place before the posts were erected and were there to steady them as soon as reared. The great posts are generally stated to be sixty-three feet long (I have not measured their lengths), and in one piece. This is not entirely true; one post is scarfed throughout a great part of its height and secured with a free tenon and pegs every yard, while others have extensions scarfed on at their tops. Notwithstanding this, they are enormous posts and came from "Chikissand" in Bedfordshire, whither Walsingham went with Master Thomas and purchased twenty oaks for nine pounds during the building period.
(fig 74 --View a Larger Image HERE.)
|Fig. 74 shows the general arrangement
of the ribs, which could not be set in position without the floor, into
which each rib is chase-tenoned.
(Figure 75. --View a Larger Image HERE.)
|The floor, with the ribs framed in, is
shown in Fig. 75, which also shows the eight posts originally set
into grooves running the full height of the stone octagon's comers and
the lesser posts that were framed into the apexes of each of the eight
(Figure 76. A Larger Image HERE.)
|The Sacrist's Entry for the fifteenth year probably refers to the planking of the vault, the fitting of its bosses in some cases, and the painting of its archivolt. The whole structure, vastly simplified by deleting huge quantities of timbers, is shown in Fig. 76, in which the pinnacles surmounting the lantern are also omitted.|
Fig. 77 shows the floor at the lantern's base.
||Fig. 78 shows the pattern formed by the
104 vault-ribs beneath it, while
Fig. 79 gives the pattern of the highest vault beneath the belfry floor- of which the central boss was cut by John of Burwell in 1337-9 and which is situated 152 feet 6 inches above the floor.
Mr. Hewett later expanded on his remarks about the Ely Octagon
in a subsequent publication,
(Figure 146. Larger Image HERE.)
|Fig 147. Larger Image HERE.|
|Fig 148. Larger Image HERE.|
Fig 149. Larger Image HERE.
And is maintained by
(who absolutely cannot be held
responsible if the above condition is not
rigorously adhered to).
Your input, comments and even (mild, gentle) criticisms
are welcome and solicited.
Write me at:
And with special thanks to Susan R. Dixon,
Specializing in :
Web Designing with the goal of enabling organizations
to transform the way they create and interact with the world.
And sponsor of Medieval WebArtists, a cooperative project
providing server space for those working with any body of
scholarship about medieval art, history, literature, or life
that they wish to put on the web, an Ideal Home for Scholars
who have no academic affiliation and therefore little access
to stable accomodations for their work.
Meanwhile, this Site is Definitely